I didn’t make a career out of it but glad that I won second place, yay! Earlier in January, we were all challenged at the office to safely lose weight. The contest ran for 15 weeks until April. The results: from the initial weigh in of 138 lbs, I clocked in at 123 on the last session.
The not-so-secret, simple strategies I did:
1) Increased water intake a hundredfold! Yup, I am quite a lazy drinker but I made it a point to drink so much more. I thought that it would up my metabolism and make it easier to remove toxins in my body.
2) Eat only two boiled eggs every other day. I would have made it everyday but I didn’t want to shock my body with the sudden loss of food intake as I am used to quite a heavy breakfast.
3) Cut down on rice intake. For Filipinos, this is such a hard task as rice is so much part of our diet and culture. So it doesn’t again shock my body, I gradually decreased this by eating fruits and veggies only at dinner. I figured I don’t need the carbohydrates when I am about to sleep anyway.
4) Cut down on sugary drinks. Thank goodness I am no fan of Coke but I like my iced tea and coffee 3 times a day.
Avoided Tried to avoid meat at all costs. I failed many times over, I am only human.
6) Used the stairs more instead of riding the elevator. I know I had to put in some physical activity in there somewhere.
7) Substituted green tea for coffee! This may have been the key, really. I was no fan of tea before, but it has grown on me.
After a few weeks into it, I began to feel the changes. I could fit better in my clothes, especially my pants. My jaw began showing itself again. And I don’t huff and puff as much when I need to walk some distance or when going up and down the stairs. And many more!
I swore to myself that this challenge is that – a challenge, something to try and work hard at to achieve success. But I also promised that I will not sacrifice so much that I will starve or let the lack of food affect performance both at home and at work. It has to be gradual and I should still be happy at the end of each day, not grouchy and weak because I was lacking energy from eating rabbit food or other equivalent. I should still be functional and would enjoy myself. I still found time to binge of my super favorite ramen and pasta at least once a week. Hmmmm maybe next time, I would refrain from having these hehehe.